Diocesan Directory

x Close  

x Close  

Portroe (Castletown Arrha)

Address
Priests House,
Portroe, Nenagh,
Co. Tipperary E45 R242
Contact
T: +353 67 23105 - 087 661 5975
E: portroeparish@gmail.com
Portroe (Castletown Arrha)

Portroe (Castletown Arrha)

Portroe, also known as Castletown Arra, is of the small number of parishes in Killaloe Diocese whose boundaries have changed little since medieval times. In 1704 a Fr. Donagh Carrol was registered priest for Castletown and Burgess covering approximately the territories of the present day parishes of Portroe and Youghalarra. In 1731 Castletown had its own Mass house which was later replaced by a thatched chapel at the upper end of the village. In 1810 a cruciform chapel, slated from Garrybeg quarry, had its gable on the street. In 1872 Fr. Michael O'Donoghue commissioned William Corbett to design a new Church, neo-gothic in design, and this was completed in 1872. This is the only church in the parish whose population is about 1,000 people.

Fr. Tim O'Brien P.P. & Fr. Fergal O'Neill (Priest serving Parish). 

Instant Search

Search for Churches, Parishes or People

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events currently scheduled.