Located in North Clare and reaching into the Burren, the parish of Tubber is quite extensive in area but due to the Burren terrain has a spread-out population which at the present time is 560. In 1841 just prior to the Famine the population was 3,975, and ten years later in 1851 it had fallen to 2,181 (49% decrease).
Tubber is the only parish in Killaloe diocese where the boundaries have stayed exactly as they were in medieval times.
The ancient name of the parish, Kilkeedy (Cill Ceide) connects with St. Ceide whose feast was on March 3rd with an associated pattern (patron) day which survived for many centuries. The old ruined church in Kilkeedy townland dates to about 900. It remained a significant centre into penal times. It received O’Neill and O’Donnell as they returned from Kinsale. Also Micheal O’Cleirigh who came to have his Four Masters manuscript checked at the adjoining school pf history.
Remains of other ancient churches survive: Templenadeirce, Cill Taice, Teampal Mor (Templemore). More recent was a structure at Kylecreen known as Seantaphubble (Sean teac an phobal) which was later replaced by a thatched church at Boston.
The year 1865 brought a big change with the building of two churches, one in Tubber and one in Boston. With periodic renovation in the meantime these two are still serving the parish.
Search for Churches, Parishes or People
During the Year of Mercy, the...
Venue - Nenagh...
Invitation to Cluster...