Diocese of Killaloe Policies
Each child shall be cherished and affirmed as a gift from God with an inherent right to dignity of life and bodily integrity which shall be respected, nurtured and protected. Every member of the Catholic Church has an obligation to ensure that the fundamental rights of children are respected.
The Diocese of Killaloe values and encourages the participation of children and young people in parish liturgies and activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional, social and intellectual development and will work in a partnership way with parent/guardians at all times.
In keeping with this the Diocese acknowledges that, as an organization providing services to children and young people, we have a corporate duty and responsibility to safeguard children through promoting their welfare, health and development. In support of this, we will put in place risk management strategies in relation to key areas of administrative functions, physical environments and organizational culture.
This will include:
- Adopting and applying a clearly defined personnel recruitment policy.
- Procedures for responding to and reporting abuse.
- Appropriate safeguarding training of church personnel.
- Planning for implementation and review of policies and procedures.
- Developing procedures to provide guidance to personnel who are part of the diocesan safeguarding structure.
- Providing access to support for those who have suffered abuse and those who have perpetrated abuse.
- Guidelines on expected behavior.
- Guidelines on operating safe activities.
- Raising awareness throughout the diocese about potential risks to the safety and welfare of children and young people.
- Appointing a Designated Liaison Person to liaise with outside agencies.
National Board for Safeguarding Children
The Diocese’s of Killaloe follows the policy and guidance of the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland.
Their policies are available at: www.safeguarding.ie/index.php/guidance
The guidance for the safeguarding policy and standards is now available as an app from the app stores for both Android and Apple devices.
Submit Question (Safeguarding)
We welcome questions and your feedback. Please feel free to submit a question about the killaloe Diocese website, Safeguarding section